Monday, August 11, 2008

Back in Utah - Summer Tour Part 1

So it would be an understatement if I said that I just missed Utah. After spending some time around friends and family on the East coast. I started to really become homesick after a couple months. I loved seeing everyone from my childhood and I know I needed the time away. But I just don't fit in back there anymore. To be honest, I really couldn't wait to come back. What better way to come back than to tour pretty much the whole state with my good friends 
We Shot The Moon.

Heres a brief summary of the shows...

Cedar City - The Grind

I've been playing this venue for 3 years. The staff is amazing and I love the lighting they put on. Its my favorite venue to play acoustic shows at. This time around there was over 80 kids there in the dead of summer. Some even drove down three or four hours to come. I got to see some old friends I hadn't seen in almost half a year and also a good friend of my brothers and bought me a pizza. It was a surprisingly fantastic show. Thanks to the promoter JP this turned out great. This was my best Cedar show by far. I'll be back October 1st.

Saint George - The Electric Theater

This is pretty much my favorite venue of all time. It just looks and sounds amazing. Thanks to Amie this was a show to remember. We brought over a hundred people out. The Firm and A Bird A Sparrow were great. WSTM put on a fantastic set as usual.  This was probably my best show on tour simply because I hadn't gotten food poisoning yet. I played a lot of rare songs like "If I Died Tonight"(an oldie) and "Always A Woman" by Billy Joel. I will be back in October for sure! It had honestly been way too long. I Love St.George!


Ogden - Union Station

This was the first day I really got sick. I drove all day and came down with a really high fever right as we pulled in to Salt Lake. None the less my buddy Shane took the wheel and got me to Ogden on time. I was actually really amazed by this venue. It was litteraly right next to the tracks. It had a really cool location and had a huge stage. Its always nice to run into my buddy Rich from "BA Sound" was hired to run the show. It sounded great to say the least. I ended up playing a lot of new material at this one and even started beat boxing in "With or Without You". It was so good to see familiar faces and even though I was under the weather the people always make it worth it. Oh and I wore my red jeans for the first time that I bought in Times Square. They just might make a appearance again if you're lucky. I will be back in Ogden September 8th!

Provo - The Olympus

This was by far the biggest Utah show on our tour. There was over 200 people. The Venue was a Dance studio which was behind Fat Cats. It was severely tough to get a good sound out of that room but Taylor Audio did great for what they had to work with. Regardless I think the show went very well and the crowd was so awesome. Thanks to Sam The man for putting on another happening event. Parking was the big issue. Whats with Provo and towing cars? I got my van booted. I was pretty bummed about that. I think I just got through this show vocally. I could barely talk by the end but I was very lucky...people were singing along pretty loud. I got to see tons of people I missed a great deal. I consider Provo my hometown-to play in. I should be playing Velour sometime this September.

I will be back in Utah next week to stay after playing a few out of state shows... I Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm back and I should be here for quite a while!

2 comments:

mxw08 said...

HECK YES!!!!!! Welcome back John :) (And I hope you noticed the "heck" in that exclamation. You are officially returned now!) Utah loves you! (Especially Provo!) Sorry you were sick... I hope you're feeling better now!!!

Oh and P.S. Will you PLEASE play Cedar City at least once a month again!!!?? Seriously.

The Leggs said...

Well we love having you in St George. I was happy to hear The Electric Theater was the best show on the tour for you - regardless of being sick. (sorry that happened) We had a great time that night. It must happen again soon.
From sunny St George,
Amy